The cynics wife theory

Surely if I want to do good things I can find support in my community? Maybe keep a hospital open or save some green belt land? If I try I can get people to come out to support me?
But If I want to do bad things like say polute the environment by building another runway or destroy some green belt by building a huge supermarket? Maybe buy a few more bombs? Well its going to be hard to get people out on the streets then and as a result hard to do bad things.
I still need influence though and because theres few of them they will have to be powerful decision makers.
The best influence to have is of course political. They make the decisions and send in the bulldozers after the so called enquiry has confirmed its a bad thing I want to do. They can even sign the cheques to help me buy the bombs. So the best way to get influence is to buy it and go to the right dinners and meet the right people. Therefore I become a political donor in order to build, polute or deprive in whatever form I choose. This is relatively easy with a party system of politics because they are a team and stick together from the top down.

Hence the Cynics Wife law of politics says that

"The party system by its nature demands that we have leades who work against our wishes"

DO NOT VOTE!

Tuesday 29 April 2008

Free and confidential vote this week

Its election time again and as we expect from this great nation of ours we have the right to a free democratic vote which is our decision and ours alone. After carefully concidering the arguments we place our cross against one of the two maybe three candidates who stand any chance of winning.
We can stand by our decision and its our own private business?

Or is it?
When you go and vote you might like to check out the system. Your electoral card with your name and address etc will be checked against the electoral/credit register. Thats a list of people who have enough money to pay the poll tax but never mind we have had all those arguments.

When that has happened pay attention to what happens next. You are given a numbered voting slip and the number is entered next to your name on the list. Then you go and vote.

Now if I was to go and take your slip out of the polling box and check the number then I can easily find out how you voted.

How is that a confidential vote?

Surely the slip should just be deemed authentic? How come the way we all vote is registered?

No comments: